What is action learning?
Action Learning involves meeting once a month with a small group of people working in your field. You follow a structured process that helps you:
- Overcome complex strategy problems together in a safe environment
- Learn and improve your active listening and peer coaching skills
- Share strategies and insights
- Build relationships within your field
Join a group
The following action learning groups kick off in May 2017 – click on the links to apply by midnight on Monday 1st May.
How it works:
- You’ll have a one-day kick off meeting to get to know your group and work on one or two challenges.
- You’ll then meet for 4 hours every 4-6 weeks.
- Each group decides on a time and location for their meetings.
WOMEN OF COLOUR ORGANISING INTERSECTIONALLY
Facilitator: Sekai Makoni, freelance
For women of colour* organising or working within activism who would like to be in a peer support environment to discuss the challenges of working intersectionally.
*This group is for self identifying women of colour.
CREATING SYSTEMIC CAMPAIGNS & PROJECTS
Facilitator – Maeve Slattery, the Clement James Centre
For people working within civil society organisations looking to establish a more systemic approach to campaigns and projects.
Facilitator – Steph Cutler, Freelance
For people working on migration issues to strategise on narrative building and reframing the debate.
BUILDING SCOTLAND’S FUTURE
Facilitator – Nishma Doshi, Common Weal, No Flag, Food Not Bombs
With a potential Independence referendum around the corner, now’s the time to build the Scotland we want. If you’re involved in the public or third sector in Scotland and are focused on making change for the better – we want you! This set is for people who are actively involved in building a more socially just Scotland and how we can overcome the barriers that prevent that.
SUSTAINABILITY & LONGEVITY IN VOLUNTEER-LED ORGANISATIONS
Facilitator – Jessica Milton, Protestival
Exploring the challenge of motivation and commitment in the context of volunteering and activist burn-out.
FUTURE OF MEDIA
Facilitator: Zahra Dalilah, Take Back the City
Opening discussion on the challenges faced by print and multimedia independent media outlets in the UK in the age of dominating right-wing press corporations and crumbling print and local newspapers.
HOW TO WIN ON HOUSING
Facilitator – Lewis Greener, Spark & Mettle
For people organising on housing to share strategies and build a more connected and effective movement
CREATIVE APPROACHES TO CAMPAIGNING, PROTESTING AND TRANSFORMATION
Facilitator – Fleur Donnelly-Jackson
For campaigners seeking to try out innovative or more creative approaches to engaging people with their campaigns or actions.
INCREASING DIVERSITY IN VOLUNTEERING ORGANISATIONS
Facilitator: Chris Hilborne, The World Transformed
For people who want to make their voluntary organisation more diverse and inclusive.
None of these groups hit the spot? No problem – this is a rolling programme with more opportunities on their way soon. You could even consider facilitating your own group.
Become a facilitator
Want to run an action learning group of your own?
NEON are partnering with Action Learning Associates (ALA) to train up more superstar facilitators. The next three-day training is on the 17-19th July in London – we’ll let you know when applications open for this.
By learning to facilitate action learning you will help groups
- Solve complex problems in a safe and supportive environment
- Improve skills such as active listening and peer coaching
- Build community by sharing insights and experiences
- Build stronger, more resilient organisations and campaigns.
The training is highly practical – meaning you tackle real life challenges in the process of learning. Afterwards, you put your new skills into action by facilitating a monthly action learning group for a group of 6-8 people, including some NEON members, for 6 months, with support and supervision from Action Learning Associate.
Read more about the action learning process here, or drop us a line if you’d like to chat to one of our previous trainees now facilitating a set. We’d particularly love to hear from anyone interested in facilitating groups outside of London and the South East. If you need support on travel and accommodation to attend the training, let us know and we’ll see what we can do.
- Where: Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3TR.
- When: 17th-19th July, 9.45am – 5 / 6pm each day
There’s space for 6 NEON members.
- About the trainers: Action Learning Associates (ALA) is the longest established company offering the training and the trainer, Di Bligh, has decades of experience in training people in the action learning method. ALA has partnered with NEON to offer this training, free of charge because they want to support the work of the NEON community.
If you’re keen to get trained up as an Action Learning facilitator but can’t make our July training, there will be another session:
- 24-26th October