What is it?
A one day training course to help progressive communicators get their stories, spokespeople and campaigns into the media.
When? Fri 19th January 2018
Time? 9.30 – 5.30
Application deadline: Friday 22nd December
Where? Central London
How Much? Between £0-£150 (depending on how much you/your organisation can afford)
How to apply? Fill in this form
For many of us working in comms we’re in a constant battle to get good media coverage for our organisations. Often we work alone or in small teams – and there’s no training out there specifically aimed at helping progressives improve their impact.
The Press Officer School will bring together the best press officers in the business, journalists and a network of people who want to use media coverage to change the world.
On the day you will learn:
– The skills you need to be get coverage for your organisation or campaign.
– How to write and pitch the perfect comment piece
– How to reach new audiences like tabloid newspapers
– How the broadcasters work – and how pitch stories to them.
and you will
– Meet others working in progressive comms to work with, share stories as part of the launch of NEON’s new communications hub (more on this to come)
Who should apply?
– Anyone who does press work for their organisation
– People with some (even if it’s limited) experience of press and comms work*. The day will involved lots of skill sharing – so we really encourage experienced press and comms people to also apply.
– people who’ve got more experience of press work and want to trade ideas and meet a collection of peers to work together on common problems
* We will be running another training very soon specifically for grassroots organisations and people with very little press experience.
Who are the trainers?
– An editor from one of Britain’s most influential comment desks
– An experienced broadcaster
– Some of the best best press officers in the world
– + more!
Who designed the course?
The course is being run by NEON with the help of press officers from some of Britain’s biggest campaigning groups, grassroots organisations and political parties. We’ve collectively booked well over 700 TV/Radio bookings on the Spokesperson Network alone and helped shift and making national stories.
This programme is part of a wider programme to substantially boost progressive communications infrastructure, along with our sister programmes Framing the Economy and the Spokesperson Network. More to come on this work in early 2018.
What will you get out of the training?
– You’ll become part of a new network of progressive press and comms officers
– You’ll receive a press officer handbook, which we’re developing alongside the training.
– You’ll have new insight, skills and ideas on how you can be even better at what you do!
We’re really excited about it (can you tell?). So go on any apply here and forward it onto others: https://goo.gl/forms/VMVGR61QxuID6UWY2